Roseni Waba Aja Keskus (Rosen Free Time Centre) is situated in the building of former distillery of Tallinn Distillery Llc and Rosen & Co Society of Tallinn Distillery Owners.
In 1875 the City of Tallinn granted Prussian subject Friedrich Rappuhn permission to build a distillery in Mere pst (former Promenaadi Str.).
The distillery was completed in 1876 and it was managed by newly-founded Tallinn Distillery Llc, the board of which included Friedrich von Dellingshausen (Chairman), Ewald von Ungern-Sternberg, O. Schilling, A. von Brevern, Emil Kaselack and Reinhold von Rehbinder.
Chief Executives of the Distillery were E. Lauenstein (1876-1883) and Gustav Arved von Rosen(1883-1895).
In 1895 the Management Board of Tallinn Distillery Llc was transferred to St. Petersburg and reorganised into a cross-Russian company Association of Distilleries.
Tallinn Distillery was leased to commandite society Rosen & Co Society of Tallinn Distillery Owners, owned by Gustav Arved von Rosen (1895-1903), Alexander Woldemar von Rosen (1903-1938) and Ernest von Rosen (1938-1940). The company brought together majority of Estonian and several Livonian and Courland’s raw spirit manufacturers. Until monopolisation of alcohol in 1900 the company had branches in the areas of modern day Poland, Lithuania, Byelorussia and Ukraine as well as Moscow and its surroundings.
The most eye-catching feature of the single-storey building is its rectification tower, which contained the equipment for rectification of raw spirits. In 1924 another storey was added to the tower which currently accommodates Rosen Tower party and seminar premises.
Most of the photos depicting the industrial equipment originates from the 1920s-1930s and are taken in the production building of the Tallinn State Spirit Store at Tartu Road.